Copyright (c) 1989 Maney
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Since 1800, at least forty-seven populated places in the United States have borne the name Moscow. The reasons for having been so named fall into four classes of placename type: commemorative, anticipatory, transfer, and mistake. The stories of these communities and their namings tell much about the growth of this country, the flow of information within it, and each community's perception of itself.
- Anderson, Mike, and Al F. Barackman. “What’s in a Name? Shakespeare Quote Answer in Moscow Mail Inquiries.” The Daily Idahonian. 25 June 1958.
- Boone, Lalia Phipps. From A to Z in Latah County, Idaho. Moscow, ID: Idaho Place Names Project. 1983.
- Brigham, A. D. Brigham’s Geneva, Seneca Falls and Waterloo Directory. Geneva, NY: Geneva Gazette. 1862.
- Bryant, Charles S. History of Freeborn County. Minneapolis: Minnesota Historical Society, 1882.
- Chadbourne, Ava Harriet. Maine Place Names and the Peopling of its Towns. Bangor, n.d.
- Crawford, Richard. “Haunted House? Moscow’s Spate House Source of Legends,” Cincinnati Journal. Tuesday, 29 October 1985.
- Curtiss-Wedge, Franklyn. History of Freeborn County, Minnesota. Chicago: H.C. Hooper, Jr. & Co.,n.d.
- Doty, Lawrence R. ed. History of Livingston County, NY. Jackson, MI: W.J. Van Deusen,1905.
- Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass, 1878.
- Evans, Randy. “This Moscow Doesn’t Have a Kremlin.” The Des Moines Register. 1 September 1977.
- Everts, L.H. History of Clermont County, Ohio. N.p., 1880.
- Foscue, Virginia O. The Place Names of Sumter County, Alabama. Publications of the American Dialect Society 65. Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama P,1978.
- Harris, W. Stuart. Alabama Place Names. Huntsville, AL: Strode,1982.
- Heritage Committee of the Polk County Bicentennial Committee and the Polk County Historical Commission. A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas (1846–1910). Polk County, TX, 1978.
- History of Lincoln County, Missouri. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1888.
- The History of Stevens County and its People. Hugoton, KS: Stevens County History Association,1979.
- House, Jack. “Moscow Resident, Alabama That Is, Says Drop A-Bombs on Russia.” The Birmingham News. 14 March 1948.
- Kohser, Nina C. Letter to the author. 13 August 1987.
- Mahoney, Velma W. “The Town of Leicester, NY, USA.” photocopied manuscript. 1976.
- Moscow Mills Community Bicentennial Heritage Committee. Moscow Mills Memories. American Revolution Bicentennial, 1776–1976. Troy, MO: Troy Free Press, 1976.
- Murphy, Thomas, ed. Jubilee History of Lackawanna County. Historical Publishing Co., 1928.
- Nattkemper, Josephine G. Letter to the author. 24 August 1987.
- Ohio Gazetteer. 1985.
- Years in the Hills and Dales. Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Co.,1976.
- Payne, Roger L. Geographic Names Information System. Geological Survey Circular 895-F. Washington, D. C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. 1984.
- Portrait and Biographical Album, Hillsdale County, Michigan. Chicago: Chapman Bros., 1888.
- Ramsay Placename Files. University of Missouri, Joint Collection: Western Historical Manuscript Collection and State Historical Society of Missouri Manuscripts. Columbia, MO.
- Rand McNally & Co. Rand McNally Commercial Atlas and Marketing Guide.Chicago: Rand McNally. 1987.
- Rennick, Robert M. Kentucky Place Names. Lexington: University of Kentucky Press, 1984.
- Richman, Irving B. ed. History of Muscatine County, Iowa. Chicago: S.J. Clarke,1911.
- Rydjord, John. Kansas Place Names. Norman, OK: U of Oklahoma P,1972.
- Sims, H.C. History of Moscow, Tennessee 1828–1978. Collierville, TN: Lecile Harris Enterprises, 1979.
- Stewart, George R. American Place-Names. NY: Oxford UP,1970.
- Swift, Esther M. Vermont Place-Names. Brattleboro, VT: Stephen
- Greene P, 1977. Upham, Warren. Minnesota Geographic Names. 1920. St. Paul: Minnesota Historical Society. 1969.
- Varney, George J. The Gazetteer of the State of Maine. Boston: BB Russell,1881.
- Wiebe, Raymond F. Letter to the author. 10 August 1987.
- Witmer, John. “Moscow Settled 150 Years Ago.” Muscatine Journal. July 1987.
- Williams, Mary Ann Barnes. Origins of North Dakota Place Names. Washburn, ND: Bismarck Tribune,1966.
- Wolk, Allan. The Naming of America. New York: Nelson, 1977.