The Role of Anthroponymic Commemoration on Wine Labels in South Africa
- Settlement names,
- urban toponymy,
- name change,
- commemorative names,
Copyright (c) 2017 American Name Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
South Africa is a prominent wine-producing country. The focus in this contribution will be on anthroponymic commemoration whereby a name of a person, singular or plural, and of both genders, is selected for a particular wine in South Africa. This selection is often linked to historical figures, but also sometimes uses invented or fictional names. Others may simply commemorate the winemaker, or family members. Being a multilingual country the language choice also will be discussed. The contribution therefore will outline the various categories and the possible impact of the name as well as the design of the label, the description of the name, and the language used for the description.
- Botanica Wines. 2015. www.botanicawines.com. Accessed April 24.
- Bugheşiu, Alina. 2012. “On Brands and Branding in the Romanion Space.” In Name and Naming: Synchronic and Diachronic Perspectives. Ed. Oliviu Felecan. Newcastle on Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 388–400.
- Danesi, Marcel. 2011. “What's in a Brand Name? A Note on the Onomastics of Brand Naming.” Names 59 (3): 175–185. 10.1179/002777311X13082331190119
- De Meye, Wines. 2015. www.demeyewines.co.za. Accessed 11 May.
- Doolhof, Wine Estate. 2015. www.doolhof.com. Accessed 14 April.
- Jenkins, Elwyn. 2006. “Some Calques in South African Place Names.” Nomina Africana 20 (1): 109–121.
- Joubert, Emile. 2015. “Swart ekonomiese Be…Marking.” Die Burger, 13 March.
- Mihali, Adelina Emilia. 2012. “Anthroponyms in the Names of Firms in Sighetu Marmaţiei.” In Name and Naming: Synchronic and Diachronic Perspectives. Ed. Oliviu Felecan. Newcastle on Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 401–412.
- Nederburg, Wine Estate. 2015. www.nederburg.com. Accessed 23 June.
- Neethling, Bertie. 2009. “Names as a Vehicle towards Transformation in the South African Wine Industry in People, Products, and Professions.” In Choosing a Name, Choosing a Language. Eds. Eva Lavric, Fiorenza Fischer et al. Peter Lang: Frankfurt am Main. 279–287
- Nuessel, Frank. 2010. “A Note on Names for Energy Drinks and Products.” Names 58 (2): 102–110. 10.1179/002777310X12682237915188
- Rietvallei, Wines. 2015. www.rietvallei.co.za. Accessed May 14.
- Siserman, Mihaela Munteanu. 2012. “Proper Names of Perfumes.” In Name and Naming: Synchronic and Diachronic Perspectives. Ed. Oliviu Felecan. Newcastle on Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 413–423.
- Stellenbosch, Vineyards. 2015. www.stellenboschvineyards.co.za. Accessed June 14.
- Teddy Hall, Wines. 2015. www.teddyhall.co.za. Accessed April 26.
- Van Loveren, Wine Estate. 2015. www.vanloveren.co.za. Accessed on May 17.
- Van Zyl, Philip, ed. 2012. Platter’s South African Wines. Hermanus: Andrew McDowall Publishers.