Copyright (c) 2000 Maney
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Whether or not women have been more likely to select non-conventional marital surnames in more recent years has received little attention in the marital naming literature. We examine marital name choices in more than 2,000 wedding announcements reported over a thirty year period in The New York Times. Women were more likely to have chosen non-conventional marital names in the late 1980s and 1990s than in the 1960s and 1970s. Furthermore, unlike women who changed their last names to those of their husbands, women selecting non-conventional last names were more likely to be employed, to have higher levels of education and to be married in non-church locations.
- Atkinson, Donna L. 1987. “Names and Titles: Maiden Name Retention and the Use of MS.” Women and Language 10:37.
- Brightman, Joan. 1994. “Why Wives Use Their Husbands’ Names.” American Demographics 16:9–10.
- Duggan, Deborah A., Albert A. Cota, and Kenneth L. Dion. 1993. “Taking Thy Husband’s Name: What Might It Mean?” Names 41: 87–102.
- Fox, John. 1991. Regression Diagnostic. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Johnson, David R. and Laurie K. Scheuble. 1995. “Women’s Marital Naming in Two Generations: A National Study.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 57:724–32.
- Johnson, David R. and Laurie K. Scheuble. 1996. “Women’s Marital Name Choice: Determinants and Effects.” American Sociological Association Meetings, New York, August.
- McKinney, Kathleen. 1991. “The Influence of Choice of Last Name and Career Status on Perceptions of a Woman and Her Spouse.” Free Inquiry in Creative Sociology 19:3–9.
- Murray, Thomas E. 1997. “Attitudes Toward Married Women’s Surnames: Evidence from the American Midwest.” Names 45:163–83.
- Scheuble, Laurie K. and David R. Johnson. 1993. “Marital name change: Plans and attitudes of college students.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 55:747–54.
- Scheuble, Laurie K. and David R. Johnson. 1998. “Attitudes Toward Marital Name Choices.” Names 46: 83–96.
- Trost, Jan. 1991. “What’s in a Surname?” Family Reports 19:7–20.