Copyright (c) 2017 American Name Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Basso, Keith. 1996. Wisdom Sits in Places: Landscape and Language among the Western Apache. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press.
- Boillat, Sébastien, Elvira Serrano, Stephan Rist, and Fikret Berkes. 2013. "The Importance of Place Names in the Search for Ecosystem-like Concepts in Indigenous Societies: An Example from the Bolivian Andes.” Environmental Management 51, no. 3: 663–678.10.1007/s00267-012-9969-4
- Bölcskei, Andrea. 2014. “Traces of Ancient Celtic Religiosity in the Place Names of the British Isles.” In Husse: Proceedings of the 11th Conference of the Hungarian Society for the Study of English, edited by Veronika Ruttkay and Bálint Gárdos, 103–113. Debrecen: L’ Harmattan Publishing House.
- Castonguay, Rachelle. 1979. “The Relevance of Native Toponymy in Illustrating Land Occupancy in the Canadian North.” Onomastica 56: 1–2.
- Heikkilä, Karen and Gail Fondahl. 2010. “Indigenous Toponyms as Pedagogical Tools: Reflections from Research with Tl’azt’en Nation, British Columbia.” Fennia: International Journal of Geography 188, no. 1: 105–122.
- Müller-Wille, Ludger. 2000. “Nunavut - Inuit Place Names and Self-Determination. Some Reflections.” In Inuit Regain Control of Their Lands and Their Lives, edited by Jens Dahl, Jack Hicks and Peter Jull, 146–151. Copenhagen, IWGIA Document, 102.
- O’Connor, Loretta, and Peter Kroefges. 2008. “The Land Remembers: Landscape Terms and Place Names in Lowland Chontal of Oaxaca, Mexico.” Language Sciences 30, no. 2-3: 291–315.10.1016/j.langsci.2006.12.007
- Rose-Redwood, Reuben, Derek Alderman, and Maoz Azaryahu. 2009. "Geographies of Toponymic Inscription: New Directions in Critical Place-Name Studies.” Progress in Human Geography 34: 453–470.
- Semken, Steven. 2005. "Sense of Place and Place-Based Introductory Teaching for American Indian and Alaska Native Undergraduates.” Journal of Geoscience Education 53, no. 2: 149–157.10.5408/1089-9995-53.2.149
- Si, Aung, and Samira Agnihotri. 2014. "Solega Place Names and Their Ecological Significance.” Anthropological Linguistics 56, no. 3-4: 389–414.10.1353/anl.2014.0019
- Thornton, Thomas. 1997. "Anthropological Studies in Native American Place Naming.” American Indian Quarterly 21, no. 2: 209–228.10.2307/1185645
- Thornton, Thomas. 2008. Being and Place among the Tlingit. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press.
- UNESCO. 2016 November 16. “Rights of Indigenous Peoples.” Seventy-first session. A/C.3/71/L.17/Rev.1. Accessed 29 July 2017. https://undocs.org/A/C.3/71/L.17/Rev.1
- UNESCO. 2017. “Open Consultations: 2019Year of Indigenous Languages.” Accessed 29 July 2017. https://en.unesco.org/events/open-consultations-2019-year-indigenous-languages