Copyright (c) 2018 American Name Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ethnicity is all important in Fiji, and labels for the different ethnic groups are a constant source of debate. A significant proportion of Fiji’s population are descendants of indentured laborers from the Indian subcontinent. An appropriate name for these citizens has for a long time been a contentious issue. In 2017 a new name was proposed; one that signals the beginning of a change in attitude. This note reports on the new name.
- Baleilevuka, Rusiate. 2017. “Turaga na Tui Noco explains why they came up with the name ‘Luvedra na Ratu’ for Indo Fijians.” Fijivillage.com. Accessed May 8, 2017. http://fijivillage.com/news-feature/Turaga-na-Tui-Noco-explains-why-they-came-up-with-the-name-Luvedra-na-Ratu-for-Indo-Fijians-5sk29r
- Boila, Sainiani. 2017. “Girmitiyas now officially called ‘Luvedra na Ratu’.” Fiji Broadcasting Corporation. Accessed May 8, 2017. http://www.fbc.com.fj/fiji/50484/girmitiyas-now-officially-called-%E2%80%98luvedra-na-ratu%E2%80%9D
- Cava, Litia. 2017. “Children of the Ratu.” Fiji Times. Accessed May 8, 2017. http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=399427
- Fiji Bureau of Statistics. 2008. “Census 2007 Results: Population Size, Growth, Structure and Distribution.” Statistical News, No 45. Accessed May 8, 2017. http://www.statsfiji.gov.fj/statistics/2007-census-of-population-and-housing/
- Krishna, Kathrin. 2017. “New Rewans Honored in Historic Event.” Fiji Sun. Accessed May 8, 2017. http://fijisun.com.fj/2017/05/06/new-rewans-honoured-in-historic-event/
- Narayan, Vijay, Iva Danford, and Ilaitia Ravuwai. 2017. “Descendants of Girmitiyas now known as ‘Luvedra na Ratu’ – Ro Teimumu.” Fijivillage.com. Accessed May 8, 2017. http://fijivillage.com/news-feature/Descendants-of-Girmitiyas-now-known-as-Luvedra-na-Ratu–Ro-Teimumu-95ks2r