The Surnames Handbook: A Guide to Family Name Research in the 21st Century, By Debbie Kennett: Gloucestershire: The History Press, 2012. Pp. 224. $18.99. ISBN: 978-0-7524-6862-4.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Name Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Ballaster, Ros. 2005. Fabulous Orients: Fictions of the East in England 1662-1785. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Fair, Leslie. “DNA Test Kits: Consider the Privacy Implications.” US Federal Trade Commission. December 12, 2017. Accessed January, 2019. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/12/dna-test-kits-consider-privacy-implications.
- Hanks, Patrick, Richard Coates, and Peter McClure, eds. 2016. Oxford Dictionary of Family Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kennett, Debbie. “The Brave New World of Genetic Genealogy: A View from Debbie Kennett.” MIT Technology. April 28, 2018. Accessed January, 2019. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611048/the-brave-new-world-of-genetic-genealogy/.
- King, Turi E., Stéphane J. Ballereau, Kevin E. Schürer, and Mark A. Jobling. 2006. “Genetic Signatures of Coancestry within Surnames.” Current Biology 16, no. 4: 384–388.
- Plant, John, and Richard Plant. 2015. “Surname Simulations, DNA, and Large Descent Families.” Journal of One-Name Studies. September, 18–20.
- Nash, Catherine. 2012. “Irish DNA: Making Connections and Making Distinctions in Y-Chromosome Surname Studies.” In Identity Politics and the New Genetics: Re/Creating Categories of Difference and Belonging, edited by Katharina Schramm, David Skinner, and Richard Rottenburg, 141–166. New York: Berghan Books.
- Regalado, Antonio. “2017 Was the Year Consumer DNA Testing Blew Up.” MIT Technology Review. February 12, 2018. Accessed January, 2019. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610233/2017-was-the-year-consumer-dna-testing-blew-up/.
- Remmonds, George, Turi King, and David Hey. 2011. Surnames, DNA, and Family History. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Rutherford, Adam. “How Accurate Are Online DNA Tests?” Scientific American. October 15, 2018. Accessed January 2019. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-accurate-are-online-dna-tests/.
- Silva, Daniella. “Senator Calls for More Scrutiny of Home DNA Test Industry.” NBC News. November 26, 2017. Accessed January, 2019. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/senator-calls-more-scrutiny-home-dna-test-industry-n824031.
- UWE Bristol. “UK’s Largest Ever Study Reveals Origins of 45,600 Surnames.” November 17, 2017. Accessed January 2019. https://info.uwe.ac.uk/news/uwenews/news.aspx?id=3510.
- Wood, Molly. 2018. “Who Owns the Results of Genetic Testing?” Center for Internet and Society. Stanford Law School. Accessed January 2019. https://law.stanford.edu/press/who-owns-the-results-of-genetic-testing/.